It looks like you want to learn how to make an essay longer. There is nothing wrong with this, of course. After all, if you learn how to make your essay longer, you can make a 50-word paper look like a 700-word one. In most cases, professors won’t pay much attention to this. However, you can get some bonus points. However, learning how to make essay longer is not easy. Fortunately, we have a couple of tips and tricks for you. Read on!
How to Make an Essay Longer: The Reasons
Most people won’t understand why you want to learn how to make an essay longer. But we do. Here are some of the main benefits of learning how to make essay look longer:
- You can avoid a penalty. If you run out of ideas, you can use some tricks to lengthen the paper. This means that you won’t have to spend time adding content. It’s very useful for when you hit a writer’s block.
- You can get bonus points. Your professor will automatically register that your paper is longer than other papers. He won’t even realize that it’s just a “trick.” Most professors tend to give bonus points on papers that impress them in some way.
- Learning how to make your essay look longer also helps you save time. Writing an academic paper takes time, as you’re probably already aware. Why spend 6 hours writing the paper when you can spend just 4 hours on it and use some tricks to make it look longer?
How to Make an Essay Look Longer on Google Docs?
There are times when you professor demands that you send him the paper on Google Docs. It’s a convenient way to share documents and it’s also eco-friendly (no paper). This is why it’s important to learn how to make an essay look longer on Google Docs. Here are all the techniques you can employ on the popular document-sharing platform to make your paper longer:
- If you can, pick a font that is slightly larger than the regular Times New Roman. If your professor doesn’t demand Times New Roman, you can use Arial, Armen CT, Quicksand, or even Cambria. If you are required to use Times New Roman, you can try using Bookman Old Style. It’s similar and you may get away with it, if you don’t have to strictly follow the APA or MLA formatting rules. However, whatever you do, don’t pick very large fonts like Arial Black!
- In most cases, your professor will ask you to use a specific font size (12 points in most cases). Why not try to increase it by a bit – say, 12.1 or 12.3. Yes, you can increase the font size by fractions of a point! It won’t make a big difference when you look at one like of text, but it will significantly increase the size of a 500-word text.
- Increase the size of the commas and periods. Just select all periods and commas and increase their size from 12 to 14.
- How to make an essay longer and get away with it? Increase the line spacing. If you must use single spacing, increase the spacing to 1.1. In case of double spacing, increase it to 2.1. You’ll instantly notice a difference.
- Also, you can make an essay longer by increasing the right margin. If you are required to use a 1-inch margin, you can increase it to 1.25 inches. Most professors don’t verify your margins. Also, you can try increasing the bottom margin as well.
- Finally, you can play with the character spacing setting. Increasing the distance between characters will yield impressive results. However, don’t overdo it because it can be easily noticed.
The How to Make an Essay Longer Period Trick
Interested in learning about how to make an essay longer period trick? Also called the period-14 trick, this technique will increase the size of your academic paper artificially. If you need to write two pages, but you have just one page and about three quarters of the second, this trick is for you. Here is what you have to do to make essay longer:
- Open the essay in Microsoft Word or paste it into a Microsoft Word document.
- Click “Edit,” then select “Replace” from the menu to display the Find And Replace dialog.
- Type “.” (a period) in the “Find What” box and then type “.” (a period) in the “Replace With” box.
- Click “More” to display more options and click the “Format” button.
- Select “Font” from the menu and then select “14” for the font size – assuming the text is using a font size of 12 points. The rule of thumb is to select a size that is 2 points larger than the size of the text.
- Click “OK” and then click the “Replace All” button. Enjoy!
You just learned how to make an essay look longer by increasing the size of the periods. Of course, you can increase the size of the commas as well. Use the same procedure, but replace both instances of “.” in Step 3 with “,” (a comma).
How to Make an Essay Longer With Words
Interested in learning how to make an essay longer with words? It’s pretty simple actually. Here are a couple of ideas that you can put to practice right now if you want to learn how to make an essay longer word count-wise:
- Add some examples throughout the text. Simply add a “For example, […]” sentences here and there. You can add them between parentheses as well.
- Add some clarifications here and there. You do this by inserting a comma, a “in other words, “ structure and then the clarification.
- Insert a couple of quotations to make your paper look like a long essay.
- Use long words. There are plenty of big words to use in an essay that will significantly increase its size. For example: incomprehensibilities, interdisciplinary, inconsequential, and hypothetically. Keep in mind that the word count will not change though.
A Word of Caution
Wow, I just learned how to make my essay longer! Yes, you did. However, you need to be careful. Using all the methods listed above can make your paper look strange. Your professor may notice it and you will swiftly get penalized. Try to use just some of the methods instead. For instance, combine the period-14 trick with bigger margins and some examples and clarifications.
Can I really make my essay longer without my professor noticing? Yes, you can. Just keep an eye on the aspect of your paper and make sure it doesn’t stand out too much. If you’re careful, your professor won’t even notice. Also, you can ask professional essay writers to help you. Good luck!