If you are required to write a speech and you want the best advice, you’ve reached the best place. In this blog post, you will learn how to find the best informative speech topics possible. Because yes, the topics really do matter – a lot! Moreover, you will get some tips and tricks on how to come up with the best topics possible. And because we want to help students as much as possible, we have compiled a list of 100 informative speech topics for college attendees. The list is updated periodically, so most of these topics are evergreen. And remember, as always, you are 100% free to use any of these topics as you see fit. You can use them as they are, or you can reword any our fun informative speech topics.
Why You Need the Best Informative Speech Topics
Before we get to the topics, let’s start with the beginning. What is an informative speech? Also known as an information speech, this speech is intended to educate the audience on the particular topic. You will use vivid details, definitions, descriptions, and even demonstrations to educate your audience. Remember that your speech must make the topic – even a complex topic – easy to understand. There are, of course, many easy informative speech topics. However, it’s best to write a speech about something a bit more difficult to show your professor that you’ve really invested your time and effort into the project. One more thing to keep in mind is that the informative speech is not a persuasive speech. You don’t need pathos; you just need to focus on communicating as much relevant information as possible, clearly.
How to Find Some Good Informative Speech Topics
There are so many topics for an informative speech! Frankly, you can write a long speech about almost anything you see around you. Does this mean you should? No! You need to find the perfect topic if you want to get a good reaction from your audience and an A+ from your professor. You want to instantly awe your audience, so you definitely need to write about something strong – something the audience is interested in. Here is what you need to consider when you are searching for excellent informative speech topics:
- Consider your audience. Think about their age and interests. Try to find something that will appeal to them; something that will interest them. Also keep in mind the knowledge level of your audience. You don’t want to talk about the latest breakthrough in molecular chemistry in front of an audience comprised of 12-year-olds.
- Consider your interests. Yes, these are important as well! After all, how will you be able to write an exceptional speech if you know nothing about the topic – or are not interested in it at all? Think about your expertise and try to find something that will interest others. You don’t need to have a PhD, of course, because the Internet is full of information about anything you can think of.
- Don’t forget about your professor’s requirements. You will most likely have a maximum length for the speech. In most cases, this will be around 20 minutes. Make sure you can gather enough information to cover these 20 minutes. This is precisely why a trivial topic will not work. There isn’t much to say about the common cat, for example. But what about talking about the role of cats in the history of mankind? It’s already much more interesting!
Be Careful With Interesting Informative Speech Topics
You can find an example of informative speech topics almost anywhere these days. However, we want to assure you that things are not as simple as you think. If you attempt to write about the first topic you set your eyes upon, you will have a shock. Three or four of your classmates will probably be writing about the same thing. This is the best way to get a mediocre grade! You should dedicate some time to finding fun interesting informative speech topics. You want topics that will intrigue your audience. Here are the best ways to find some nice informative speech topics ideas:
- Spend some time at the local library and read some journals and some academic papers. You’ll find plenty of things that are not only interesting, but also that require more research.
- Watch the news or read the newspaper. You will find a lot of topics that are trending right now. People will most surely be interested to learn more about them.
- Think about your life and your surroundings. Did you see something extraordinary? Did you experience something unique? Do you wish to shed light on something? This is your chance!
- Use the Internet. You can get some ideas you can use. Just don’t use them as they are, unless you are certain your peers are not doing the same thing.
- Contact a writing agency and ask one of their writers to help you with a list of topics. It won’t be free, but don’t expect to pay a fortune for a list of topics. Keep in mind that these will most likely be interesting informative speech topics for college students that you can use right away. No edits required!
The Best List of Informative Speech Topics (100 Topics)
Without further ado, here are the best 100 topics if you want to write an intriguing informative speech:
Animal Informative Speech Topics
- Cats are the best pets.
- The importance of cats for humankind.
- The intricate life of an ant.
- Wolves are beautiful creatures.
- Do you know how to raise a rabbit?
- The difference between two species of tropical fish.
- Pet snakes are nothing to be afraid of.
- What is the best pet for a small child?
- We must stop immigrants at the border.
- What environmental problems does Australia have?
- The horrors of child soldiers in African countries.
- Nigeria problems are raising the oil prices.
- Comparing our gun control laws with European countries.
- What is a free trade agreement?
- Explaining our foreign policy (with examples).
- Socialism certainly has its benefits.
Public Speaking Informative Speech Topics
- Here is my biggest concern for the future.
- When I grow up, I want to be a…
- Intelligence is not everything today.
- What if I could rule the world?
- Did you know plants really do have feelings?
- Think about poverty as to a state of mind.
- Lying saved me countless times.
- Targeting children with ads should be illegal!
Society Informative Speech Topics
- Never judge a person by their appearance!
- Clothes don’t change who you are!
- Do women have a good time in the military?
- We must stop gender discrimination.
- Pay gaps are affecting us all.
- Some actors really make too much money.
- I’m pessimistic about our society’s future.
- Are isolated communities happier that modern societies?
- Buy or lease a car?
- How motorcycles came to be.
- The simple way to change the oil.
- Driving manual is easier than automatic.
- Choosing the best tires for your vehicle.
- Three things that will help your car run best.
- Maintaining your car in perfect condition.
- The best three muscle cars of all time.
Informative Speech Topics for College Students
- Can you transfer to a different college?
- What university should you apply to?
- The process of leaving the college campus.
- How can college students be better at school?
- Avoiding the temptations of college life.
- Drugs and alcohol are causing students to drop out of school.
- You should listen to music while studying.
- Here is how you can make money as a college student.
- Attending college is very important.
- Financial education is very important for the economy.
- How did China manage to become an economic superpower?
- What is the link between price and demand?
- Reducing emissions hurts the economy.
- The government can help small businesses even more.
- Startups should be encouraged as much as possible.
Funny Informative Speech Topics
- Monkeys in space programs.
- The best pub decorating ideas.
- How do different cultures celebrate our Valentine’s Day?
- Talk about your favorite comedy movies.
- Talk about your favorite cartoon.
- The best alien abduction stories ever!
- The Sun is like a light bulb; it will burn out.
- Professors should have higher salaries than the President of the US.
- Explaining how a highway is built.
- How did social media appear?
- Text messaging is really making teens illiterate.
- Violent games have a severe effect on small children.
- Explaining VoIP and its applications.
- Smartphones have a negative side too.
- Here is how the Internet evolved.
- How do communication satellites work?
- How to assemble a computer from scratch.
Creative Informative Speech Topics
- Three near death experiences explained.
- What would I do if I met the first alien?
- What would I do if I could travel back in time?
- What would I do if I could travel to the future?
- Does your handwriting characterize you?
- Here is what your pet is thinking about you right now!
- What would I do if I were the President of the US?
- How would the first Mars colony be like?
- Politicians should fight pollution, not cause it!
- Here is how we can protect our forests.
- Here is how we can protect our waters.
- Here is how we can protect our atmosphere.
- The ozone layer is failing us.
- Losing the rainforest will be a disaster.
- Global warming will cause irreparable damage soon.
- The use of pesticides industrially is destroying the local fauna.
Travel Informative Speech Topics
- Here is the best cruise vacation.
- Visiting the Mayan temples.
- What are the Seven Wonders of the World?
- The best countries in Europe for a romantic trip.
- The best Croatian beaches.
Easy Speech Topics
- Talk about your favorite genre of music.
- What are the lesser known president of the US?
- How do natural disasters happen?
- Here is how your computer works.
- What is a microprocessor?
- The various breeds of cats.
- The most interesting culture I know.
Final Word on the Topics for Informative Speech
We are certain you managed to find at least some good topics for an informative speech in the list above. We also advise you to check our expository topics. Even though the topics are clearly important, it is equally important that you write your speech in an interesting and informative way. This is why, in the end, we want to offer you the best advice possible: practice writing speeches and then speak them out loud. This way you will gain experience and will learn what works and what doesn’t. The informative speech topics college students so desire are just part of the equation. How you write and how you speak is equally important!