If you are seriously thinking about applying to several of the best colleges in the United States, you should prepare thoroughly. Your high school GPA is just one of the things these colleges look at. In most cases, you will be required to also write a why this college essay. It may sound like a very strange assignment at first, but you’ll see in a minute that it makes sense. In this blog post, we will show you what an admission essay is, where to find good examples, and how to write one. Also, you will see some of the most common application essay prompts and will learn some of the best tips and tricks for writing such an essay. Of course, a quick guide is also included; it should help you write your essay in no time.
What Exactly Is the Why This College Essay?
In most cases, students have never heard about a why this college essay. After all, this type of academic paper is only required when you apply to colleges. As such, you probably have zero experience writing one. And no, it is not like every college essay you’ve written in the past. The college admission essay is there so that the school can evaluate several things:
- Are you really interested in that specific college?
- Do you know at least the basics about the college?
- Would you be a good fit for the school?
- Would the school be a good fit for you?
These are just some of the questions the application essay attempts to answer. College application committees all around the US base their decisions on application essays. In fact, most of the top schools require applicants to write such a paper. In most cases, you will get a prompt and you will be required to answer it. This is definitely easier said than done though.
Where to Find Good Why This College Essay Examples?
The best way for you to understand what is required of you is to read an excellent why this college essay sample. In fact, we encourage you to read several college application essay examples. Analyze these papers thoroughly and try to see how the author responds to the prompt. Also carefully watch how the author presents his traits and skills while talking about why that specific college is a great fit for him or her. The admissions committee wants to learn more about you, remember. While you can find a lot of examples of this type of writing online, the best way to get an exemplary why did you choose this college essay sample is to get in touch with an academic writing company. Yes, you will have to pay for it, but the price is well worth the reward. Getting admitted to a top college in the US is no easy feat! Here are all the things you get if you work with a seasoned academic writing agency:
- Its writers will quickly write the college application essay for you. It will truly be a worthy piece of writing that will impress everyone in the admissions committee.
- The essay will be written in perfect English and will be properly proofread. If English is not your first language, this is very important.
- The writer doing the work has extensive experience writing this kind of papers. He or she knows exactly what the admission committee wants.
- The essay will be ready very quickly. In most cases, a reliable writer can compose the paper in just two or three days.
- You get all the relevant guarantees. A company will not only guarantee the quality of its work, but also the delivery date. If the paper is not up to your standards, you can request a full refund.
And the best thing is that all you have to do to get an amazing why are you interested in this college sample essay is provide all the information about yourself you deem relevant. You will describe yourself in your own words and let the professional writer do the rest.
The Most Common Application Essay Prompts
Now that you know where you can get a good why this college essay example from, it’s time to look at some of the most common application essay prompts. Here is a list of prompts you can expect to receive from colleges and universities around the US:
- “Why is our university so special to you? Why did you apply to it?” – Yale University
- “What do you find so exciting about this university or college. Why do you think our school stands out from other similar institutions?” – University of Notre Dame
- “In what way will our college or university fuel your intellectual curiosity? How will we help you meet each and every one of your goals?” – The California Institute of Technology
- “Show us an essay on a topic of your choosing. It can be anything, on any writing prompt, and it doesn’t matter if you’ve already written it.”
- “Tell us about your most important accomplishment or realization. We want to know how it led to your personal growth and how it shaped your understanding of yourself and of others.”
- “Think about what you consider to be your worst failure yet. How did that perceived failure affect you as a person? How did it affect your friends and family?”
- “Is there a problem that you absolutely want to solve? Tell us everything about it!”
- “Tell us more about one of your most interesting personal traits or about a story that would make us learn more about who you are.”
Let’s Talk About the College Application Essay Format
So, how does a college application essay look like? The college application essay format is not complicated. You will need to use 1-inch margins (top, right, bottom, left). In some cases, the college will require double space lines. The alignment is also set by the university. Regarding font, Times New Roman, size 12, is acceptable in most cases. The size of the essay is capped at 650 words in most cases. Make sure you don’t exceed the word limit! And remember, the college may ask you to use a specific academic writing style such as Chicago, MLA, Harvard, or APA. If this is the case, make sure you read the style book. Mistakes will be penalized. You should think of the why this college essay as of a scholarship application essay. Consult a writing service, if you’re not sure you can handlei it. You know ho important it is!
Quick Guide on How to Write the How to Write Why This College Essay
Now that you’ve read a couple of common application essay examples, it’s time to see how you write your own. Truth be told, learning how to write why this college essay is not an overly complex thing to do. Here are the basic steps you need to take to write an excellent application essay:
- Carefully read the prompt. Even if it’s a common application essay, you need to make sure you understand what you are required to write.
- Make sure you read the requirements (things such as formatting, style, etc.) very carefully. Failure to adhere to these requirements will earn you various penalties.
- Do some brainstorming. Think about who you are and what your interests are. Did you do some amazing things in your life? Where do you want to go from here? Why would the college want to accept you? Why this college and no other? These are all things you need to think about. Write all the important ideas down for later reference.
- Select a topic that is interesting, unique, and intriguing. The topic must capture the attention of the people on the admissions committee. Being able to find an outstanding topic is perhaps the most important part of learning how to write a why this college essay.
- Write a short introduction and remember to include the thesis statement in the first two phrases.
- Write the body of the essay carefully. Each paragraph should discuss a single important idea. You must structure your writing in a logical manner. The paper should be easy to read (pay attention to paragraph flow!). Good transition sentences and smooth logical connections among ideas are the key to success.
- Write a short and concise conclusion. Make it clear why you are a good fit for the college and why the college is a good fit for you.
The Best College Application Essay Tips and Tricks
Learning how to write a why this college essay is not difficult. In addition, there are a couple tips and tricks that will almost certainly earn you bonus points:
- Only read high quality college essay examples. Again, get in touch with a writing company if you want some great college admission essay examples that are also 100% original.
- Always have your purpose in mind when writing the essay. You don’t want to sell yourself; you want to be yourself. Write about yourself in normal, human terms.
- Make effective use of descriptive language. It’s very important how you start your essay. Also, be concise and to the point.
- Make sure your grammar, spelling and punctuation are flawless.
- Remember that the best MBA admission essay tells a story about you. Make it interesting!
As a last tip, don’t be afraid of humor. You are free to use humor here and there. In fact, you should aim to make the admission committee smile. It proves you are a fun person and an intelligent human being. Be witty and humorous, but in a nice and pleasant manner. It may make the difference between getting admitted and getting rejected. Good luck!